Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chocolate ice cream with Philadelphia cream cheese


My first serious ice cream I made a year ago and since that time I`ve been cooking it very often. Before the first experiment I had never been able to imagine that it`s possible to prepare homemade ice cream without a cream  freezer! I still remember the words of my main degustator related to that ice cream...he was eating regular chocolate ice cream and suddenly said: "We will never ever buy ice cream in a store!":) Sometimes I think I shouldn`t have shown him I can do it:)





















Ingredients:
350 ml milk;
250 ml heavy cream;
250 gr philadelphia cream cheese;
4 eggs (only yolks);
100 gr dark chocolate;
5 tbsp granulated brown sugar;
3 tpsp unsweetened cocoa powder


There are several methods to prepare ice cream but I prefer to use a bain-marie (water bath) so as this technique prevents ingredients from spoiling. 

Put the milk, the cream, the yolks, the sugar into a food processor or blender and process gently just until combined. Pour the mixture into a bowl/saucepan and heat gently over low heat, using a bain-marie, stirring continuously about 10 minutes. Don`t bring the mixture to boil. If you see it is going to boil, remove the bowl for a minute or add 2-3 tbsp cold cream in the mixture to stop the boiling process. 

Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate broken into pieces, cook an additional, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until mix well. Add the cream cheese and cook 2-3 minutes until smooth. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool for about 1 hour (the best way is to put the bowl in the cold water to cool it fast).

Transfer the mixture in a container and freeze for 5-7 hours or until completely frozen. Remove the ice cream from the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment